Ways to Promote Yourself in Today’s Job Market
Even in the best of economic times the job market is a competitive place. Therefore, for job seekers it all comes down to establishing the needs of your target audience (potential employers) and positioning your brand (yourself) to meet their demands. With that in mind, here are five great ways you can promote yourself in today’s job market without sounding like a braggart.
- Identify your target audience: Carefully research the employer you are targeting and learn as much about the position as you can. This will not only let you know whether you are right for the particular position, it will also let employers know that you are serious about working for them. Moreover, it will help you to customize your marketing approach.
- Identify your strengths: Try to assess your skills, experience and knowledge and list them on your resume in a way that will interest the specific employer you are targeting. Moreover, communicate to potential employers examples of how you demonstrated your skills, knowledge and experience by listing your accomplishments.
- Get recommendations: Ask your previous bosses to write a recommendation for you. If you do not have much work experience, ask college professors and others who can vouch for your character and skills to be prepared to give you a reference. The more people you can get to campaign for you, the stronger your brand will be. Just remember – never give someone as a reference who you have not notified in advance.
- Use social media as a marketing tool: Most companies have a social media presence these days. Therefore, it is a good idea to use sites like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn for self promotion. As a word of caution, you should be careful about what you post to social media. Some posts have come back to haunt job seekers.
- Develop an elevator pitch: These are short, concise summations that can be delivered in one minute or less. Elevator pitches can be used at career fairs where there are many candidates vying for a particular position or they can be delivered at networking events, social occasions, etc.
Once you can convince hiring managers that you can add value to their company, you will be one up on other candidates. Our executive assistant staffing firm in New York can help by putting you in contact with the top companies in New York. Staffing agencies in New York are always eager to find the most qualified candidates available.
Like, Follow & Share Us...