Tips for Communicating with your Boss
Whether it is to ask for a raise or to apprise him or her of your progress on a particular project, there comes a time when all employees must communicate with their boss or manager. This, as most people know, can be somewhat stress producing. Be that as it may, the reasons for learning to communicate effectively with your manager/boss are apparent. Building a rapport with him or her can result in:
- More visibility
- Greater influence in decision making
- Promotion opportunities
- More respect, mentorship opportunities among your peers
For these reasons and many others, we would like to help by giving you pointers that can help you become more confident and effective in your communications with your onsite superior.
- Ask for a time to speak to him or her: Timing is everything when it comes to communicating with a supervisor, manager or boss. Chances are his or her schedule is busy so finding out the right time to speak to him or her shows that you understand this and value their time. Additionally, setting a specific time to talk to him/her will mean that the two of you will be less likely to encounter distractions during your meeting.
- Prepare and plan: Be focused and have a clear idea of what you want to discuss. Succinctly explain why you requested the meeting and what it is that you desire. Consider rehearsing what you want to say to your boss ahead of your encounter.
- Provide just the right amount of information: Do you have facts that will help you make your point clear to your boss? Bring any statistics that you have that will bolster your case.
- Be a good listener: Be attentive, ask questions and consider taking notes while you are speaking with your boss.
- Be assertive, not aggressive: This takes much skill and finesse. However, bosses usually like it when employees show initiative and even potential leadership skills.
In short, learning to communicate with your boss can be anxiety-producing but doing so effectively can help your career. Moreover, it can improve team efficiency and productivity which helps the entire workplace. Our executive assistant staffing firm in NYC reaches out to prestigious companies on a daily basis and understands how important effective communications can be. That is one of the things that make us one of the top staffing companies in NYC.
Like, Follow & Share Us...