5 Ways to Make Yourself Irreplaceable at Work
The worst situation an employee can find herself in is when her employer believes that she is easily replaceable. This belief puts employees in a precarious situation especially in down employment markets. And even though the employment rate remains high in many parts of the country, it is still a good idea to make employers see how replacing you would be rather costly for them. This post provides five ways to showcase your importance to your organization, make your presence felt and improve your career prospects going forward.
- Be the best at what you do: There’s an old saying that goes “if a job’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well.” This is the attitude that you should take as an employee regardless of whether you are answering phones, managing and office, taking notes, etc. Doing everything you can at the peak of your ability, will send the message to your boss that you take pride in your work.
- Never stop learning: In any position you occupy you want to make sure that you keep developing professionally. This not only improves your work performance, but it can increase your employment opportunities in the future. Seek to improve and enhance the skills that you were hired for in the first place and learn new ones along the way. Doing this will help you be able to evolve as the company itself changes.
- Exceed expectations: Don’t just try to get by doing the bare minimum required to get the job done. Try to go above and beyond what is required for each task you are asked to perform. Also, volunteer to do special projects when they are available.
- Have a good attitude: Don’t gossip or complain when working. Find constructive ways to deal with conflicts and difficulties at work and above all keep a positive outlook. People find it easy to work with people who exude enthusiasm and eagerness about the company they are working for and its employees.
- Be reliable: By being the person others can count on, you will eventually be rewarded by gaining the respect of everyone at your organization including the boss. By being reliable you, may also place yourself in the boss’s mind when it comes to promotions and other rewards.
In short, when your manager can depend on you to show up and get your work done, she will recognize how truly valuable you are to that organization. And by following the above tips you will also increase your value in the job market in general. Our executive assistant staffing firm in New York is ready to put you in contact with employers who do value and are actively seeking employees who can be an asset to their business. The opportunities we present include permanent staffing in New York in some of the most prestigious firms in the world.
Like, Follow & Share Us...